Skip to content
Edit Content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

News section

Do I require a TIE card if I hold a Golden Visa or Digital Nomad Visa issued by a Spanish Consulate?

Do I require a TIE card if I hold a Golden Visa or Digital Nomad Visa issued by a Spanish Consulate?

When it comes to obtaining Spanish residency as an investor (Golden VIsa) or a Digital Nomad, there are often numerous inquiries and uncertainties surrounding the process, especially in the case of applications at the Spanish Consulate and from within Spain concerning the issuance of TIE cards.

Option 1: Application at the Consulate

Investors and Digital Nomad applicants have the option to apply for a residency visa at the Spanish Consulate in their country of citizenship or residency. If this path is chosen and approval is granted, the applicant will receive a maximum one-year visa. This visa is affixed to the applicant’s passport and comes with the significant advantage of allowing them to reside and work in Spain without the need for a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE) card.

This approach is supported by Law 14/2013, 27 September, on support for entrepreneurs and their internationalisation. Specifically, in the case of Investors, Article 65 of this law states that “The granting of the residence visa for investors shall constitute sufficient authorisation to reside and work in Spain during its validity.” In the case of Digital Nomads, Article 74 quater, Visa for International Remote Work, number 2 states that “The international remote work visa shall serve as sufficient authorisation to reside and work remotely in Spain during its validity.”

This means that during the visa’s one-year validity period, investors and digital nomads are legally entitled to reside and work in Spain, and there is no requirement to obtain a Foreigner Identity Card (TIE).

Additionally, according to the Spanish General Consulate in London, the visa remains valid for one year and serves as an official certification of residence in Spain throughout its duration. This effectively eliminates the need for investors to go through the process of acquiring a TIE card.

Option 2: Application in Spain

Alternatively, investors and digital nomads may choose to apply for residency from within Spain itself. In this case, if approval is granted, investors and digital nomads will receive authorisation to reside in Spain for a more extended period—three years. However, there is an important caveat: within one month of receiving this authorisation, the applicant must begin the process of obtaining a TIE card.

In conclusion, investors and digital nomad applicants have two distinct paths to obtain Spanish residency, each with its advantages and requirements. The choice between applying at the Consulate, which offers immediate residency rights with a maximum one-year visa, or applying within Spain, which grants a longer three-year authorisation but necessitates obtaining a TIE card, ultimately depends on individual circumstances and preferences. Understanding these options is essential for making an informed decision when pursuing Spanish residency as an investor or as a digital nomad.

Del Canto Chambers

Get in touch with one of our barristers or lawyers

To make a no-obligation enquiry, please either call us now on:
+44 2070 430648
or complete our online form on our contact page, which after receipt we will come back to you within 24 hours.

If you wish to make an enquiry, please complete the form below. We will get back to you within 24 hours.

In accordance to the Bar Standards Board, we hereby inform you that you may contact us for a quotation.