The Del Canto Chambers Clerks will consult with those seeking to instruct our lawyers with regard to the applicable fee for the work concerned.
If required, the Del Canto Chambers clerks will provide written quotes before instruction takes place. The fees required both for traditional instruction and direct access instructions should be transparent and understandable to the client and full explanation can and will be provided when requested by the client either by the lawyer concerned or the clerk.
Del Canto Chambers lawyers will occasionally work on a fixed fee as well as hourly rates depending on an individual agreement being reached with the client for such and upon these being confirmed in writing.
The level of fees may require adjustment due to the nature of the work entailed (this can be up or down) and will depend upon your initial requirements and the development of the work as it progresses. If, for example, you require a more experienced barrister or your case is more complex than initially thought, then the fee is likely to be higher. It may be that our lawyers will require additional funding for the cost of travel and / or subsistence but this will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.
Please note that VAT, if applicable, is payable on our fees and this is chargeable at the rate when the bills are raised. Disbursements and other costs will be charged separately, if applicable.
The Bar Standards Board (BSB) requires Del Canto Chambers to comply with further transparency with regards to fees and in addition to the above where relevant Direct Access work is concerned where the BSB have introduced mandatory rules on price, service and client redress, these rules can be reached from this link:
BSB’s price transparency policy statement. Direct Access Clients are able to access the BSB public access guidance by clicking on this link: Public Access Guidance for Lay Clients .
The relevant Public Access services are:
- Employment Tribunal cases (advice and representation for employers and employees);
- Financial disputes arising out of divorce;
- Immigration appeals (First-tier Tribunal);
- Inheritance Act advices;
- Licensing applications in relation to business premises;
- Personal injury claims;
- Summary only motoring offences (advice and representation for defendants); and
- Winding-up petitions.
Due to the nature of the work we undertake within chambers and as Direct Access Barristers it is not anticipated that there will be additional costs involved with the majority of work that we carry out. However, occasionally we may need to pay a fee if your matter needs to be considered by a court or you need to go to a tribunal in England or Wales, the fees that are payable in these circumstances are set out here: Court and tribunal fees – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
This is a quote that will be provided based on the work that has to be done in total, how much this will cost you, an overall amount that you will need to pay for the work that needs to be done.
We try to accommodate fixed fees arrangements as much as possible, based on an estimate of hours of work that we will need to dedicate to your files. There are certain services and work, which Del Canto Chambers is competent to undertake, that cannot be covered by fixed fees agreements due to their extraordinary nature and complexity.
Therefore, any other matter outside the scope of services specifically included in our Client Care Letter, and unless agreed otherwise, will be invoiced separately from hourly fees in accordance with our terms and conditions. Please see a partial list of some of the matters to be considered in this paragraph:
- Arbitration and Mediation dispute resolution services
- Tax and legal advisory services, and in particular review of previous years legal issues and procedures, accounting or tax matters, tax inspections, communications in writing and discussions of any sort with the HMRC.
- Non-Contentious employment disputes and shareholder dispute agreements.
- Preparation of Personal Income Tax returns and other matters of an extraordinary nature (such as corporate reorganisations, due diligence, mergers and companies divisions, Industrial Property, tax planning, increase of capitals, international tax advice and any other legal advice or legal representation outside our engagement letter scope of services.
Hourly Fees and Rates
It is the value you receive, and not the time we spend, which really matters. For us, providing our services quickly and effectively is paramount. Please be aware that additional fees may be charged if the work carried out goes beyond the agreed scope of work . This will be invoiced according to time spent and agreed with the client.
Our Hourly rates are based upon seniority, qualification and expertise and these are between £150 to £500 plus VAT per hour. Please, contact us to ask for a quotation before engaging our services.
In Del Canto Chambers we place a fundamental importance in being double qualified in taxation and law internationally. The seniority of our international professionals is determined by qualifications and expertise and further details of their qualification and practicing certificate can be obtained from our clerk:
- International Tax & Legal Senior Counsel: A qualified tax lawyer holding a practicing certificate in accordance with the Bar Standards Board regulations. Senior Counsel has got more than 10 years of professional UK experience (PQE) and fully qualified in at least another jurisdiction.
- International Tax & Legal Counsel: A qualified tax lawyer holding a practicing certificate in the UK, with more than 5 years of professional experience (PQE) and fully qualified in another jurisdiction.
- Registered International Lawyer: A lawyer qualified to practise with a home title in the UK in compliance with UK Regulations.
- Senior Lawyers: A lawyer qualified to practice in his or her domestic jurisdiction with more than 5 years of professional experience (PQE). Under 5 years experience we’ll use the title lawyer.
- Tax & Legal Consultants: Qualified tax & legal assistants working under the supervision of a Lawyer and supporting other professionals by doing organisational, library, research and other paralegal activities.
Conditional Fee Agreements (CFAs)
- A CFA is often referred to as a “no win, no fee” arrangement. Extraordinarily, professional services may be carried out based on a “no win, no fee” case success. Prior to taking this work on CFA, we are entitled to charge an administrative fee in advance, and a percentage based on the merits of the case.
Payment of Fees
- Barristers, contrary to Solicitors, are not allowed to hold client’s money. So, when instructed through public & licensed access, you will be required to contact our Clerk in Normanton Chambers. There are some specific rules that apply when, as a Barrister, the lawyer acts on a public & licensed access basis. These rules entrust the lawyer to consider whether solicitors should also be instructed.
- Payments of Fees are always payable in advance, and we are entitled not to deliver any work until fees have been fully settled.
- Del Canto Chambers reserves the right to apply a 5% late payment charge, plus legal interest. In the case of a dispute regarding our professional fees, these will be calculated on the basis of time spent.
All Barristers practicing from Del Canto Chambers offer their services under The Standard Contractual Terms for The Supply of Legal Services by Barristers to Authorised Persons 2012 (updated for the GDPR in 2018) as referred to in Rule rC30.9c of the BSB Handbook, unless by written agreement otherwise.
If you require any further information regarding any aspect of the above, including obtaining a fee quotation, please contact our clerks either by phone on:
+44 207 043 0648
Date of review: 01/03/22
Name of reviewer: Alex Fletcher
Date of next review: 01/03/23
Person responsible for next review: Alex Fletcher