Fees Policy – Del Canto Chambers
We are passionate about service quality and strive to respond to all enquiries within 24 hours. Solicitors, Licensed Access and Lay Clients can contact us in accordance with the Bar Standards Board and obtain a quotation for the legal services we can provide.
Please review our section on Terms and Conditions to understand chambers’ accountability in this respect.
We advocate for a clear price policy reflecting the value of our professional services. Our fees policy is set out in accordance with the nature of the work or services we provide.
Contact us for more information
Our Client Care Letter outlines a clear structure on fees that can be charged on a “Fixed Fee” or “Hourly Fees” depending on the terms agreed. Please note that services provided outside the UK will be regulated by the country legal regulatory body. For example, if services are provided regarding Spanish tax or legal matters, the services will be regulated by the Spanish Colegio de Abogados. We’ll make it clear in our Client Care Letter.
Please note that VAT, if applicable, is payable on our fees and this is chargeable at the rate when the bills are raised. Disbursements and other costs will be charged separately, if applicable.
- Fixed Fee
This is a quote that will be provided based on the work that has to be done in total, how much this will cost you, and the overall amount that you will need to pay for the work that needs to be done.
We try to accommodate fixed fees arrangements as much as possible, based on an estimate of hours of work that we will need to dedicate to your files. There are certain services and work, which Del Canto Chambers is competent to undertake, that cannot be covered by fixed fees agreements due to their extraordinary nature and complexity.
Therefore, any other matter outside the scope of services specifically included in our Client Care Letter, and unless agreed otherwise, will be invoiced separately from hourly fees in accordance with our terms and conditions. Please see a partial list of some of the matters to be considered in this paragraph:
- Arbitration and Mediation dispute resolution services.
- Tax and legal advisory services, and in particular review of previous years legal issues and procedures, accounting or tax matters, tax inspections, communications in writing and discussions of any sort with the HMRC.
- Non-Contentious employment disputes and shareholder dispute agreements.
- Preparation of Personal Income Tax returns and other matters of an extraordinary nature (such as corporate reorganisations, due diligence, mergers and companies divisions, Industrial Property, tax planning, increase of capitals, international tax advice and any other legal advice or legal representation outside our engagement letter scope of services.
b) Hourly Fees and Rates
It is the value you receive, and not the time we spend, that really matters. For us, providing our services accurately and effectively is paramount. Please be aware that additional fees may be charged if the work carried out goes beyond the agreed scope of work. This will be invoiced according to time spent and agreed with the client.
Our Hourly rates are based upon seniority, qualification and expertise and these are between £150 to £500 plus VAT per hour. Please, contact us to ask for a quotation before engaging our services.
Del Canto Chambers is one of the few tax chambers able to offer legal advice and representation on tax matters both domestically, as well as, internationally due to our dual qualified lawyers. The seniority of our international professionals is determined by qualifications and expertise and further details of their qualification and practising certificates can be obtained from our chambers clerk:
- International Tax & Legal Senior Counsel: A qualified tax lawyer holding a practising certificate in accordance with the Bar Standards Board regulations. Senior Counsel has got more than 10 years of professional UK experience (PQE) and fully qualified in at least another jurisdiction.
- International Tax & Legal Counsel: A qualified tax lawyer holding a practising certificate in the UK, with more than 5 years of professional experience (PQE) and fully qualified in another jurisdiction.
- Registered International Lawyer: A lawyer qualified to practise with a home title in the UK in compliance with UK Regulations.
- Senior Lawyers: A lawyer qualified to practice in his or her domestic jurisdiction with more than 5 years of professional experience (PQE). Under 5 years experience we’ll use the title lawyer.
- Tax & Legal Consultants: Qualified tax & legal assistants working under the supervision of a Lawyer and supporting other professionals by doing organisational, library, research and other paralegal activities.
c) Conditional Fee Agreements (CFAs)
- A CFA is often referred to as a “no win, no fee” arrangement. Extraordinarily, professional services may be carried out based on a “no win, no fee” case success. Prior to taking this work on CFA, we are entitled to charge an administrative fee in advance, and a percentage based on the merits of the case.
Payment of Fees
- Barristers, contrary to Solicitors, are not allowed to hold client’s money. So, when instructed through public & licensed access, you will be required to contact our Clerk in Chambers. There are some specific rules that apply when, as a Barrister, the lawyer acts on a public & licensed access basis. These rules entrust the lawyer to consider whether solicitors should also be instructed.
- Payments of Fees are always payable in advance, and we are entitled not to start or deliver any work until fees have been fully settled.
- Del Canto Chambers reserves the right to apply a 5% late payment charge, plus interest at the statutory rate. In the case of a dispute regarding our professional fees, these will be calculated on the basis of time spent.
We aim to provide you with as much information as we can with regards to our Fees Policy, but you are duly advised and encouraged to visit the Bar Standards Board in order to fully understand how Barristers set their fees.
The Bar Standards Board (BSB) requires Direct Access Barristers to comply with further transparency with regards to fees and in addition to the above where relevant Direct Access work is concerned where the BSB have introduced mandatory rules on price, service and client redress, these rules can be reached from this link: BSB’s price transparency policy statement. Direct Access Clients are able to access the BSB public access guidance by clicking on this link: Public Access Guidance for Lay Clients.
The relevant Public Access services are:
- Employment Tribunal cases (advice and representation for employers and employees);
- Financial disputes arising out of divorce;
- Immigration appeals (First-tier Tribunal);
- Inheritance Act advices;
- Licensing applications in relation to business premises;
- Personal injury claims;
- Summary only motoring offences (advice and representation for defendants); and
- Winding-up petitions.
If you require any further information regarding any aspect of our fees, including obtaining a fee quotation, please contact our clerks either by phone on +44 207 043 0648 or by email using email@example.com.
Why choose Del Canto Chambers?
Del Canto Chambers provides dual-qualified, multi-lingual tax lawyers, who have worked on over 500 cases throughout Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and Asia, making us the counsel of choice for London-based and international clients, corporations, solicitors and tax advisers.
We have worked on several corporate cases including some of the worlds leading companies in media, luxury boats, football clubs, NGOs, investments and much more