Skip to content

Tel: +44 207 043 0648


Moving to Spain

Non Lucrative Visa

The Non Lucrative Visa is an ideal option for those who wish to reside temporarily in Spain without engaging in any work activities in the country. This visa allows you to live in Spain for an extended period, usually one year or more, with the freedom to enjoy your personal activities, retirement, studies, or leisure time without the need to seek employment.

Del Canto Chambers will secure your Non-lucrative Visa

Del Canto Chambers will secure your Non-lucrative Visa. Del Canto Chambers’ dual-qualified, multilingual tax lawyers have handled over 500 complex cases from Europe, the Middle East, Latin America, and Asia. Discerning London-based and international clients, corporations, solicitors, and tax advisors count on our expertise. With our unique Turnkey Project Management approach and ISO 9000 certification, we ensure total client satisfaction.

Our Experts in Spanish Visas & Immigration Matters

Our clients have the word

To apply for the Non Lucrative Visa for Spain, you must meet certain criteria and eligibility requirements, including:

The Non-Lucrative Visa allows one to reside in Spain without carrying out any gainful (work or professional) activity, provided that the applicant has sufficient and guaranteed means to live on. This visa does not allow you to work in Spain.

The following family members may also obtain the visa:

Application Process

The application process for the Non Lucrative Visa for Spain generally involves the following steps:

Gathering Documentation: Obtain all necessary documents, which may include a valid passport, certificate of criminal record, proof of income, and medical insurance.

Application at the Spanish Consulate: Submit your application at the Spanish consulate in your country of origin. It is important to follow all instructions and provide the required documentation accurately and completely.

Interview (if necessary): Some applicants may be called for a personal interview as part of the application process. Be prepared to discuss your residency plans in Spain and answer any related questions.

Waiting for Decision: The Consulate has 3 months from the date of submission to resolve the application.

If your residence visa gets approved, you have a month to pick it up in person after being notified. If you don’t do this, it’ll be assumed you’ve given up on the visa, and the process will be closed. Once you have the visa, you need to enter Spain within three months. Your temporary residence permit will be valid for one year starting from your entry into Spain. Within a month of arriving in Spain, you have to personally apply for your residence card (TIE).

This residence permit is renewable for periods of two years, and after residing in Spain for 5 years, you will be able to apply for permanent residency.

Requirements to obtain the NLV

The necessary documentation to apply for the Non-Lucrative Visa for Spain includes:

FAQs about the Non Lucrativ Visa

The non-lucrative residency visa is a residence permit that allows foreign citizens to reside in Spain without the need to work in the country or engage in commercial activities. It’s ideal for those who have sufficient income to live without seeking employment in Spain.

The main requirements typically include demonstrating sufficient income to sustain oneself in Spain without working, having private medical insurance, having no criminal record, and meeting public health requirements. Additionally, documentation supporting these requirements, such as bank statements, a medical insurance contract, and a criminal record certificate, must be provided.

The initial non-lucrative residency visa is usually valid for one year, and it can then be renewed for additional two-year periods. After five years of legal residence in Spain, permanent residency can be applied for.

No, the non-lucrative residency visa is specifically designed for those who wish to reside in Spain without working in the country or engaging in commercial activities. If you wish to work in Spain, you’ll need to obtain a work visa or an offer of employment from a Spanish company.

Yes, with a Spanish non-lucrative residency visa, you can travel to other Schengen Area countries (most EU countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland) for up to 90 days within a 180-day period without the need for an additional visa.


Let us guide you on our service for the Non- lucrativ Spanish Visa

Del Canto Chambers specialists are constantly up to date with new legislative changes and aware of any Spanish tax and legal implications. Contact our Spanish legal and tax specialists to find out the best tax planning and corporate structures in your circumstances.


Del Canto Chambers has a 5/5-stars client satisfaction on Google Review

Satisfied clients are among our highest priorities. See what other clients has to say about us on Google Review:

Articles & News

At Del Canto Chambers we are always sharing our knowledge and act as an active voice across different media. The following articles and news are related to and relevant for Real Estate Sale & Purchase and Spanish Tax Law.

If you wish to make an enquiry, please complete the form below. We will get back to you within 24 hours.

In accordance to the Bar Standards Board, we hereby inform you that you may contact us for a quotation.