Exceeding the 90-day Schengen limit due to exceptional circumstances. Spanish Law 4/2000, establishes the possibility of applying for an extension, provided that certain requirements are met and appropriate documentation is submitted.
How can I extend my 90-day stay?
- Short-Term Visa: Applicants must have a valid short-term visa to apply for an extension (extension of the short-term stay, when exceptional circumstances justify it)
- Justification for the Extension: Providing a valid reason for extending the stay, such as health or humanitarian reasons, is essential.
- Not Having Exhausted the Initial Period: An extension request must be submitted before the original short-term visa expires.
- Adequate Means of Livelihood: The applicant must demonstrate that they can support themselves during the extension without becoming a burden on Spanish social services.
- Application Form: The official extension request form, available on the Ministry of Inclusion, Social Security, and Migration’s website, must be completed.
- Valid Passport: It is essential to present a passport with a minimum validity covering the duration of the requested extension.
- Justification for the reason: Depending on the exceptional reason for the extension, documents supporting the declared reason must be provided, such as medical certificates, among others.
- Medical Insurance: A medical insurance policy covering healthcare expenses during the extension period is required.
- Proof of Financial Resources: Bank statements, employment contracts, or other documents demonstrating the foreigner’s financial capacity to sustain themselves during the extension.
- Documentation ensuring the return to the country of origin or admission to the third country of destination before the date of expiry of the requested extension of stay. It would be sufficient to present a ticket in the applicant’s name with a closed return date before the period of the requested extension of stay.
Procedure for Application:
- Submission of the Application: The applicant must submit the extension application to the Foreigners’ Office corresponding to their place of stay.
- Also, we can apply electronically for this visa extension as your lawyers in Spain.
- Prior Appointment: Many offices require before process immigration procedures. It is advisable to verify this requirement before visiting.
- Payment of Fees: The applicant must pay the relevant fees, which may vary depending on the duration of the requested extension.
- Resolution: Once the application is submitted, the competent authority will review it, and upon a favourable outcome, the stay extension will be granted.
Written by Sara Velasco
Del Canto Chambers can help you to #movetospain. Call us at +44 2070 430648 or fill out our online contact form on our contact page, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.