Case Study; International Football Teams
Legal and tax advice for top-flight international football teams
The Commercial Context
We have strong connections with the international sports industry, particularly top-level football. On several occasions, we have been asked to represent and advise on commercial deals, considering the legal and tax implications of various multi-million-pound transactions.
How Del Canto Chambers delivered value
We have acted for a number of world-class English and Spanish football teams, and related businesses, on the formation and negotiation of deals including:
- Acted on behalf of Premier League football club Tottenham Hotspur directors for a sponsorship deal.
- Acted on behalf of Spanish La Liga football club Valencia regarding sponsorship negotiations.
- León Fernando Del Canto was part of the team advising Premier League football club Manchester United, and footballer David Beckham, on the legal and monetary feasibility of him moving to La Liga football club Real Madrid on the basis of the so-called ‘Beckham Rule’ – a favourable tax regime for expatriates in Spain.
- Tax and legal structuring and related negotiations to franchise the Diario As (largest Spanish daily sports newspaper) in Arabic.
- Advised and represented the largest Spanish speaking digital sport media consolidation project to create a leading football-only digital media platform in the Americas. Key traffic figures: Over +240m monthly pageviews, Over +110m monthly sessions, Over +38m unique monthly users, Over +40m Facebook fans.